Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Train Roots: Dedicated to Waist Less - Part 2


I had planned the second part of this story to be much timelier.  As life happens it changes our minds and ideas and it just didn’t seem right to tell it until now. 
Since posting the first part of this story in August I have experienced the passing of three women all due to of various types of cancer, all whom have children that are my friends or clients I have come to know well.
Jen’s Mom passed a few weeks after the post (she was able to read it and smile), within a few days Paula the mother of my childhood best friend.  Paula was smart, quick witted, and an inspirational woman with so much spirit and stories or advice.  She a look that let you knows when you are out of line.  In October my friend and co-workers mother passed.   As you can guess there has been much traveling and spending time remembering over the past few months. 

While you are traveling to see family and friends over the coming days appreciate them and appreciate your health.  While indulgence is lovely in the moment, bundle up and go for a walk afterward. 
Thanks and Grace to all!
Train Roots:  Dedicated to Waist Less – Part 2

Adding lace scallop trim on 3/4 length sleevs
Two months came and went.  In that time I had finished the lace and details the dress was just waiting on the back.  I met with Jen for the final fitting.  When she walked in she was notably thinner in her checks and neck, but she looked healthy.  She nervously climbed into all of her undergarments and headfirst into the dress.  The zip went to just above her waistline I could see that it was the waist to rib zone where unless you keep losing weight or have a rib removed (the Eden complex) that zipper is not moving.  Looking at the top shoulder line the zipper could over lap.  She was so close!!!!  She had come so far and was soooo close, I couldn’t say no.   I measured the gap eye to eye said “Three weeks Jen, if you can lose a 5/8 of an inch in three weeks this dress will fit you.  It will be tight but it will fit.”  As I mentioned earlier, I never offer this option because it is stressful on me and the bride. I completely believed in her and watched her shed those pounds.  I decided to wait until one week before her wedding.  If it zipped up she had achieved a major goal and worst case scenario I would put in a corset. She was so thankful that she said “If it doesn’t zip, I will pay you double for your patience and the rushed alteration.”  Shake and done.  

Three weeks later she walked in a nervous wreck.  Proving exactly why I do not condone weight loss at the last minute.  I noted that her eyes looked a little brighter blue than they had in the past.  Amazing what changes can do.  Once again Jen nervously climbed into all of her undergarments, petticoat and headfirst into the dress.  I zipped to the same place on her waist and glanced at Jen’s friend Sarah.   Together we held the dress shut and slowly inch by inch worked the zipper up the top.  Jen was so nervous she had not even realized.  I could see she was pacing in her thoughts and I think holding her breath.   I peeked at her around her shoulder into to mirror (she is a good 6 inches taller than me) her face dropped when she looked at me and she mistakenly thought the worst.  I grabbed her around waist and hugged her so she wouldn’t fall and said “No, Jen your zipped!”  I stood with her for a few seconds until she started to acknowledge this and move.  Then we got the mirror so she could see the back.  The tears of triumph, relief, happiness, stress and anxiousness all came pouring out.  Then she said she felt like she was poured into her dress.  That just made me crumble knowing how hard she worked and that she saw herself that way.  That day was about deciding if she was comfortable enough in the dress to wear it the way that it was or if we should air on the side of caution and put in a corset back.  I reminded her that she achieved a major personal goal. She wanted that dress to zip and she did it, and all of her friends and family knew what she had just accomplished and how important it was to her to wear the dress.  As soon as she heard that and the reality of a corset set in and the stress of the moment dissipated she said, “NO! You’re right. I did this, and I still have a week before the wedding.  I can maintain and maybe loss another pound or two.”  The bubbly Jen that I met in January started to shine through again.  I was so happy for her achievement.
I know that she is not done yet, this has become a lifestyle change for her so she can live a long and healthy life with her perfect new hubby on the farm that they will someday have.   

No comments:

Post a Comment